HARTING shapes a sustainable future
Connectivity for hydrogen technology
Configurable components & system solutions
Connectivity – meaning connection technology for transmitting data, signals and power – is playing a decisive role in creating an energy supply for the future. It is critically important in the production of hydrogen, because the efficient networking of all components and systems being used, ensured by connectivity, is necessary to implement an effective cycle in the production and distribution of hydrogen. Similarly, the connectivity infrastructure between hydrogen producers and consumers plays a key role in hydrogen technology.
The hydrogen market has the most demanding quality requirements in terms of safety, durability and reliability. This is exactly why HARTING is your optimal partner when it comes to connectivity for hydrogen technology. Our incentive here is to develop products and solutions efficiently and sustainably – for and with our customers.
What connectivity do we offer in the hydrogen production?
- HARTING components simplify the scaling of electrolysis facilities
- We are developing connectivity options that are perfectly suited for electrolysis systems
- Due to high temperature fluctuations, a continual monitoring of all process signals (such as pressure, temperature and flow measurement) is required
- By taking advantage of the right connectivity, reliable voltage monitoring is possible even at high ambient temperatures
What connectivity do we use to support the transport and storage of hydrogen?
- We offer system solutions for connectivity in transport with mobile storage units
- Customised, custom-fit and space-saving connectivity for monitoring the temperature, pressure and valve positions
- Also available as intrinsically safe Ex-i solutions for all signals
- Valve control using pneumatic connections is possible
- Customised and space-saving connectivity boxes are available in stainless (V2A and V4A) or powder-coated steel
In which areas is our connectivity used?
Fuel cells for railroad technology
- Complete cable assemblies that are tested according to railroad standards
- Reliable and durable HPR® hoods/housings for the most demanding environmental requirements
- Assemblies are individually configurable according to your application requirements
Fuel cells for the marine sector
- For these applications, HARTING offers solutions similar to the hydrogen transport with mobile storage units
- A comprehensive product portfolio for transmitting signal, data and power – in proven HARTING quality, tested and documented
- Also available as a complete solution
Risk zones divided into zones 0 – 2
Our connectivity & services for you
Han® standard components
Han® components for intrinsically safe circuits
HARTING customised complete solutions
HARTING pushing partnership by co-engineering
We support you in all project phases with our co-engineering. Consistent communications and early involvement in the course of the project give you the opportunity to help shape every step.
- Co-engineering saves you resources and time
- Benefit from our many years of expert knowledge
- Follow all project phases during regular live meetings
Certifications and approvals
Intrinsically safe electrical connections including customised terminal boxes and their optional pluggable cable assemblies meet the clearance and creepage distance requirements specified by the ATEX directives for ignition protection type Ex ia. This enables sensors (e.g. for pressure and temperature monitoring) to be reliably interrogated from all Ex zones.
- Complete solutions that can be approved for ATEX certification.
We support you with our many years of expertise in developing customised system solutions, combined with the professional inspection and testing facilities in our own accredited laboratory. These enable us to guarantee success for reliable and economical connectivity.
Connectivity for a wide variety of sectors
HARTING’s sustainable solutions for the hydrogen industry offer connectivity in a wide range of sectors. Our modular and individually configurable components and our customised system solutions are both relied on wherever monitoring and control is required in the production (electrolysis), storage, distribution and filling of hydrogen.
Your partner for customised system solutions
We understand that your connectivity requirements often call for individual solutions – for example to combine pluggable connections for different signals in a space-saving manner and to qualify these for various approvals. The optimal solutions to such requirements are not easy to find. We take over the services for the specification, selection and development of the connectivity solution, so that you can concentrate fully on your core process. We accompany you from the idea to the solution.
A competent development partner at your side
HARTING experts – with their many years of expertise in CAD development and engineering of complete solutions – are at your side throughout the entire project. Throughout, our accredited HARTING Technology Center (HTC) accompanies and supports the qualification, validation and, if necessary, approval. We have the proper experience right from the start. We've been active for many years in various industries that require reliable connectivity solutions with the most demanding environmental requirements – for example, for the offshore, rail technology and wind power sectors. Ensuring the highest quality for power engineering systems designed for a long service life.
Are you looking for a connectivity solution or our co-engineering support? Get in touch with your contact person!
Or take advantage of our contact form!
Hydrogen technology FAQ
What is hydrogen technology?
Hydrogen technology refers to use of hydrogen as an energy carrier. Hydrogen can be produced from water through electrolysis; it serves as a clean and efficient energy storage mechanism. Hydrogen technology encompasses various applications such as the hydrogen fuel cell, in which hydrogen and oxygen react to form water, generating electrical energy, and the use of hydrogen as a vehicular fuel. Hydrogen technology is considered a potential solution for decarbonising the energy sector and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
How does hydrogen technology work?
Hydrogen technology is based on the use of hydrogen as an energy carrier. Hydrogen can be extracted from water by electrolysis and then used in fuel cells or internal combustion engines to generate electricity. In a fuel cell, hydrogen reacts with atmospheric oxygen to generate electrical energy. Hydrogen technology has the potential to become a clean and sustainable energy source, since hydrogen produces only water as a waste product.
Is hydrogen technology sustainable?
The use of hydrogen as an energy carrier has several advantages. Hydrogen can be used in fuel cells to generate electrical energy, with water as the only emission. Hydrogen technology has the potential to contribute to the decarbonisation of the energy sector, since hydrogen can be used as a renewable energy carrier.